Friday, February 4, 2011

Blog Post # 3

Computer screen reading- I buy hundred dollar textbooks that I never open

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
What I learned while watching this video is that technology may distract us and cost us severely. Not only is it costing one financially but it may cost one academically. Technology may cause students’ to fail classes if he/she is not listening to the teacher because he/she’s mind is on the computer, cellphones, mp3’s, etc. This may sound a little funny but when walls are brought up on the video, I interpret it as, the walls are there year after year hearing lectures after lectures but students come in and have their computers with them, causing students to not fully listen. I interpreted it as the walls actually learn more so to speak than the students do, if that makes any sense.
I can relate to this in a way but only at home, not school. At school, I am focused on what the teacher is saying. School is so expensive and I want to make sure that I learn what is being taught so in turn I can make good grades and get closer to fulfilling my dream as a teacher. Being at home is a different story. I sometimes get distracted when doing homework because of Facebook and other common networks. Today, it is not hard to become easily distracted due to all the interesting technology that the world has to offer.
If students were to put as much effort listening to their teachers as they do with technology, the world just might be a bit more positive. Please do not misunderstand me when I say that. I do believe technology does have its positives. Technology can help teach children and much more but in turn it can be used as a negative. If one looks at it though, there are usually negatives and positives to something. Students just need to be more responsible because technology can be used to make students’ lives easier.



An article entitled, “It’s Not about the Technology,” was written by: Kelly W. Hines, (Keeping Kids First). She gave a list of the four things that teachers must recognize in order to connect with children in today’s new generation.
      1.      Teachers must be learners.
I totally agree with Mrs. Hines about this. Teachers always need to be up to date with what is going on today in order to completely connect with the students. Technology is something that changes frequently and there is always something new to be learned.
      2.     Learning and teaching are not the same thing.
This is a very good point that Mrs. Hines' makes. I totally agree with her. Anyone can get in front of the class and explain how to do something but the child must be able to display what he or she is being taught to say he or she has fully learned it.  A teacher can teach all day long and the student may not fully understand what is being taught. The child then is not learning what he or she is supposed to. I am sure there are a good bit of students that have this problem. I myself can even relate from when I was in elementary school.

3.     Technology is useless without good teaching
Again, I totally agree with Mrs. Hines. I will never understand why some teachers will not use some of the new technology equipment that cost the school a fortune. Bringing something new into the classroom besides a chalkboard brings excitement for the kids. Something new will definitely make them curious and hopefully more willing to learn and stay focused. I believe if the money is spent on something for the school, then at least try it out. Who knows? You may like it as well as the students.  
      4.     Be a 21st Century Teacher without the technology.
I do agree that technology is not everything but it is a very useful thing most of the time. When teaching years ago they did not have the technology that we have today and I believe that they were able to learn just as much or more than we have considering the different times that is. One question though, why not have the best of both worlds? By including a little technology and a little of how they were taught years ago, I am sure it can be a very positive outcome.


A teacher being chased by a computer or some sort of technology tool
Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
I really liked Mr. Fisch’s quote, “If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write.” I also agree with him when he says that we should also be learners to the entire technology thing. “In order to teach it, we have to do it.” We must learn how to do it. We should not just expect the children to learn, but ourselves, as well. Technology is taking over and we must stay up to date with it or else we will fall behind.
A newspaper that reads news on the front cover

Gary Hayes Social Media Count
My first impression is wow; the numbers are changing so fast!! Just by viewing it, it just makes me realize how technology is being used all over the world and still continues to grow. Also, when viewing the numbers, in ways it scares me. I am just so afraid that with technology changing so frequently that I will not be able to keep up but who says I can’t try? I can definitely strive to. When I become a teacher I sure will do my best to keep up with the world. I do not want to be left behind in the dark, that’s for sure, and certainly do not want my students to ether.



1 comment:

  1. Tiffany,

    I agree strongly with Karl Fisch about teachers being technologically literate. It is extremely important that we use the most recent technology and resources to reach our students. While technology is not everything, it can definitely enhance a classroom. Whether we believe technology is good or evil, our students thrive off technology, and I believe we should try to incorporate it as much as possible.

    I understand that technology can distract us as students; however, there are many benefits to it as well. In the classroom, we simply have to set boundaries for the way we use technology. While it is also expensive, I believe we have to have a positive attitude towards it, and we must decided to use it for academics. I truly believe that the use of technology depends on our intentions as students and teachers, and we must find ways to integrate technology for our benefit.

    ReplyDelete