Friday, February 18, 2011

Blog Post # 5

A confused face with a question mark for the nose
My summary of learning to podcast

I had never really heard of or tried this so called podcasting. I can actually say that for this week's project I had a full dose on what podcasting is and how to do it. I also can say that I used a Mac for the first time working on this week's project. I have to pat my own back for that one. I don’t mean to boast but I am proud. I can now actually say that I have used a Mac, have a twitter account, have a blog, and know how to make a podcast. Boy am I getting technologically smart!!!

An image of a third grade class with their podcast name entitled Eagles Nest Radio 
Eagles’ Nest Radio Podcast by a third grade classroom
When listening to the podcasts done by the third grade class it showed me that they are so well educated. The students were so entertaining! In episode 3 the students talked about roman culture and it taught me a few things that I did not know. When listening to episode 2, the students just stunned me just as much as before. They talked about different explorers. When listening to this podcast it brought me back to when I was in the third grade and was learning about the famous explorers that were mentioned.
One podcast that stood out to me was the one about how many sharks are being killed throughout the year. She stated that there were over 60 million being killed. I absolutely had no idea that so many are being killed. The third graders taught me some interesting things about sharks.
These third graders absolutely know what they are doing when it comes to podcasting!


A podcast image which includes a microphone and earphones
Langwitches
Mrs. Tolisano with the help of Mrs. Khur came up with the idea to allow podcasting when it came to learning Language Arts. I can see that the two teachers put a good bit of work into doing this. I admire both of them for stepping up and trying out a 21st century tool. Lately from experience, I have learned podcasting is a really neat thing. Everyone should give it a try, at least once!

These teachers are doing a fabulous job and we should follow their example and try to keep our students engaged with the new ideas, such as podcasting. The students need to get into the 21st century. How can we as teachers expect for the students to get up to date if we don't get up to date?

The Benefits of Podcasting





Mr. Joe Dale is talking about the different benefits of podcasting. Here is the list of benefits that he briefly stated:


  • an effective way of interacting with students outside of the classroom
  • a form of learning students of today are familiar with and therefore makes it relevant to them
  • it allows for differentiation and project based learning
  • students can access the higher order thinking skills in Bloom's taxonomy
  • it promotes creativity and innovation
  • it can offer distance learning opportunities for absent students
  • the process of creating and uploading audio files is easy
  • students can record role plays in character making their learning more memorable
  • parents can see and hear what their children are doing at school
I like how he stated that podcasting can be used anytime and anywhere. A student or students can definitely use this to their advantage. If a teacher uses a podcast to show students the class calendar, schedule, homework, etc. this can be very helpful. The student can go on and listen anytime of the day regardless of where they may be as long as they have a computer. 
 I definitely will consider either a podcast or web page due to students being sick or other reasons kids miss school. Podcasting in my opinion would be easier because talking is easier than just typing but I guess I can include a little of both! From watching my brother’s experience with forgetting his books, homework, or just missing class I believe podcasting will possibly eliminate the stress on the students as well as the parent or guardian. This is a very creative and up to date way for parents to see what is going on in the classroom.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I found the eagle nest podcast created by the third graders, to be very interesting. I felt that they talked with great confidence and didnt hesitate when presenting their information. I really enjoyed this segment of our assignment this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany,

    You are technologically smart! I am proud of you. To go from hardly ever using a computer to making podcasts and blogging in such a short amount of time is a big deal, you deserve a pat on the back.

    The podcasts of the students were a lot better than mine. Ha! I love to watch them. I agree with you, the kids really taught me some new things as well. It is amazing to me that these kids have learned to podcast and in essence "teach" their peers (and college students) material in a new and fun way.

    Podcasting can be a great way for kids to learn material, it keeps them engaged and fosters creativity. I think it is fabulous that kids can have access to lectures at any time. Podcasting will be something I do with my future students.

    I enjoyed reading your blog, keep up the good work!

    Kelly Evans

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you are getting some experience using the Mac! Macs are extremely useful when creating podcasts.

    I think those kids are great! I really think that when kids try podcasts out, they really enjoy getting to describe or discuss certain topics.

    You have some really good points about podcasting. I really think that it could be a wonderful tool for teachers and students.

    Good post Tiffany!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree in using some type of webpage/blog for many of reasons. I wish teachers were using these types of resources when i was going through school, especially high school. I really think that it could be beneficial to the student as well as the teacher.

    Keep up your good thinking!

    Courtney Muse

    ReplyDelete