Monday, March 7, 2011

Blog Post # 8

An image of children holding hands around the earth

Richard Miller- This is how we dream part 1 and 2
By watching Mr. Miller’s videos, I can tell that he has done an extensive amount of research about writing with multimedia.  This video was very informative and he covered the positives of using multimedia writing. This video was used to show a positive change in visual literacy.  He also mentioned that we can share information instead of going to the library. I can relate to this. There has been many times when I would have to research for a school project or paper that kept me in the library for long periods of time. By using the internet, it just makes things so much easier and accessible.
Mr. Miller’s videos explained how we can communicate globally and instantly and that we should grasp this time to put literacy into play. He also mentioned that writing in the culture and academy has changed.  He stated that he has been inspired to work with books every since he was a child which led him to multimedia writing.  
Mr. Miller pointed out that the goal is not the technology itself but that the technology makes possible, with allowing us to articulate our dreams and share them with others and tackle the fundamental problems of humanity because we cannot make our work visible.
He said that we can do this and that we should do this! Writing with multimedia is something that I could possibly try in my classroom. I would certainly try anything new if I knew that it would positively benefit my students.
Chipper
I thought this video was really cute. I really like how Jamie Lynn used this video to teach students that it is not a good idea to procrastinate.  I really like the point she is making when she says that Dr. Strange is not doing his job in teaching her because she does not want to learn on her own.  I remember Dr. Strange talking about this at the beginning of the semester.  She came up with an idea to create a Timeline Pilot School. This school allowed one to choose how long they wanted to be in a certain class. With this school she allowed her students to report in on how much they had done without her checking the progress of each student’s work. She had to trust that they were doing what they had said. The school was shut down due to lack of certain knowledge. The student did not acquire the knowledge she needed to fully complete the class or program.  We as students must be responsible when doing our schoolwork. How can we be a responsible teacher if we cannot even turn in our schoolwork on time.



EDM310 For Dummies
What a great idea!!  I can relate, when hearing previous things about EDM I was so scared going into this class. There are days that I just want to give up and feel like I am going to go insane but I have to remember that I am not the only one. The only way that I can keep stress down is to try to work ahead and not procrastinate.
While talking with a few of my friends we came up with the idea of making a video on how to make an “A” in EDM310.  I think this was would be a very interesting movie and very informative to future students .




Learn to change, Change to learn
At the beginning of the video it mentioned that education is put on the bottom of the list with coal mining. That to me is so crazy!!! They also mentioned how children or students are more engaged outside of school when using technology then inside of the classroom. Technology should be brought into the classroom. One would not want too much technology that the children are not focusing on their studies but in turn allow students to use technology to their advantage.  I do feel though that the school systems are allowing technology to come in and be used.  I see technology progressing more and more throughout the schools. I know that technology has advanced in my high school since I graduated in 2007.



The Secret Powers of Time
I really enjoyed watching this video. While watching the video, especially with pictures being drawn, it helped to keep my attention and it brought what he was talking about to life. He mentions the term time. Different cultures have different paces of life.  It surprises me that in America every 9 seconds a child drops out of school. The speaker talks about how we get angry when we have to wait on certain things. For example, while waiting for, the computer to boot, waiting in line, etc. We have become a microwave society so to speak, we want it now!!! He explains how things have changed over the course of years. Family meals , patience, etc.  has decreased.  He stated that technology has re wired kids brains. Every year we get busier and busier. We live a very fast paced life.



The surprising truth about what motivates us
In this video he explains the different things that motivate us. He explains how money is a big motivation. In today’s society money is a big motivational tool. When getting out of the bed in the morning to go to work motivation to go to work kicks in because money is what keeps the world going round. Without it we would be in serious trouble.  He gives three factors that lead to better performance as well as personal satisfaction. The three are: Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose. He states that Autonomy is something that urges us to be self directed. Mastery is the urge to succeed or be better at something.  For example, playing an instrument on the weekend. Why do they do it on the weekend? For fun and to get better at it.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tiffany! You have a great post and In like all the great pictures you chose. I really enjoyed EDM 310 for dummies because I can relate to how the reacted at first too. I was ready to give up in this class at first but it is not that bad as I thought. I am really enjoying EDM 310 and is learning somethings I did not know. Your whole Blog page is great! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tiffany.

    I can relate to Richard Miller's videos also because I think using the internet to look up information is much faster and easier than hours at the library. I like that you pointed out that the goal is not technology, but what you can make use with technology. That is very important because as future educators we need to be aware of all kinds of ideas to do with technology and make it happen in our classroom!

    EDM310 for Dummies was a great video about Dr. Strange's class! By not waiting until the last minute to turn work in, we should be on the right track to a good grade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tiffany,
    EDM 310 for dummies was a video I too could relate to. On the first day of class all I could think was "WOW". Compared to my other college classes I did not even know what the word homework meant until I started in this class. With all the work you have to do for this class if you procrastinate you will not finish your work on time and once you fall behind it is nearly impossible to catch back up. Great blog post, keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So make your movie on how to succeed in EDM310! But it won't be money that will be the motivator!

    ReplyDelete