Thursday, March 31, 2011

Blog Post # 10

An image of pencils that are colored brown

An Open Letter To Educators:
I really enjoyed reading Morgan Bayda’s post as well as watching Mr. Brown’s video.  Both Morgan and Dan made some very interesting points.  They talked about how college is so expensive and that one would think that students would learn valuable information and have something to carry with them when they leave the class.   Unfortunately this is not always the case for each class.  I have experienced the effect of being cheated out of an education only in a few of my previous classes, actually one of them.  I paid so much money to attend the class and left out of there feeling as if I learned nothing.  I really hate the idea of this because school is so expensive and something should be learned in the end.  Mr. Brown also talked about how educational institutions seem to be falling behind technologically.  He stated that since the world is advancing so should the institutions.  He said that we as students are paying for an education that we can get for free.  He said that most of the information that we learn in the classroom we can get for free by the simple click of the internet. 
Don’t Let Them Take Pencils Home:
This blog post was very interesting.  In this post the teacher was told not to allow students to take pencils home.  Research was shown that taking pencils home could lower test scores.  I have never heard of this before.  This is something new for me! What I believe this post is about or the moral to it is that the teacher here is worried about the problem but never focusing on the solution.  This should be changed or reversed; not just focusing on the problem but looking for better or positive ways to overcome it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jessica,

    I agree that some parts of education are really falling behind; especially in technology. So what can we do about it? We can use what we learn in EDM 310!!!


    From Dr. Strange: It seems that you did not understand that Tom Johnspn's post Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home was a metaphor in which pencils were computers. I will complete my post Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them (A Learning Opportunity) later this week. After this post appears on the Class Blog you will be required to leave a comment. Watch the Class Blog for further instructions.

    ReplyDelete