Monday, April 4, 2011

Blog Post # 11

A girl sitting at a computer

Little Kids…Big Potential
First of all, I have to say, WOW!!! This video is very impressive. I absolutely loved watching this video and seeing these young students being so involved with technology.  I have never seen first graders use Skype, Wikis, Blogs, or just having computers all in the classroom.  Ms. Cassidy obviously is on top of her technology and I hope to follow in her steps when I have my own classroom.  I would love to use Skype, Blogger, or any other technological tool that will benefit my future students.  These first graders are so involved and I love how the little boy said he could go home and look at his blog. I especially liked when he told us that we should be careful what we say because it could hurt people’s feelings.  I thought that was so sweet and very wise.  As far as using blogs, I can see them being very beneficial for the teacher, students, as well as the parents.  Having a blog also allows students to communicate with students all over the world, which in my opinion is a great idea.  The students get to see different approaches to learning and they could possibly see the new technology being used in others classrooms. 
After watching the Skype interview between Ms. Cassidy and Dr. Strange, I noticed that both teachers had the same views about technology.  Both teachers believe that technology is advancing and will continue to advance.  I totally agree with them.  Ms. Cassidy said that the world is constantly changing.  I agree with that too, which in turn should make us future teachers to advance right along with it.  We must continue to learn.  I really loved hearing Ms. Cassidy talk about how her student’s love the idea of using their blogs and how they cannot wait to get the day started.  She talked about how her six year olds loved to stay busy and how it makes them feel important when they have a computer in front of them and know that someone else can comment on their blog.  I really love her use of technology in the classroom and allowing the students be involved.  From the beginning of the semester up till now I have learned how to use numerous technological tools and I thought I was doing so well but these first graders seem to be showing me up.  I am just now learning about the new tools at twenty two years old and they are learning at age six.  This just shows how quick technology is advancing and is being used more and more in the classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Your post on Ms.Cassidys class was very Informative. I enjoyed it and look forward to commenting on your future post,to your blog. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we can learn from the kids. And with the kids. That makes it fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tiffany-

    I feel the same way, these young children are showing up some adults! Maybe as future educators, we could plan a couple open house nights in our classroom for the parents. We could give the parents a mini workshop to learn the skills their children are learning!

    Good luck in EDM310!

    Christina Henson

    ReplyDelete