Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Blog Post # 14 Special Assignment On Metaphors

An image explaining what a metaphor is and lists an example of a few
Blog Post # 14
1.  Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor? I actually thought that this post was little odd but just did it anyway and I totally missed the entire subject.  It never occurred to me that a metaphor was being used here.   I felt so silly that I did not even get the idea of technology being involved.  My light bulb should have went off, I am taking a class dealing with technology not necessarily pencils. Duh me! I believe the reason why I may have misinterpreted this post is maybe I was just looking at the post too seriously or to be honest, maybe I was not putting the effort into this assignment as much as I should have.

2.  What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them? There are so many metaphors that I have encountered but not necessarily since we were asked to make a list. I have been hearing metaphors every since I was a little girl.  I have heard some metaphors that others may not have ever heard before.  Some actually may not make any sense.  Here are a few: Bad to the bone, Jumping for joy, Dead as a doornail, To go the extra mile, To break the ice,  To turn over a new leaf, As old as the hill, Hitting the nail on the head, It’s raining cats and dogs, Falling in love, and Racking our brains, just to name a view.

3.  What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors? Well, I myself do not always understand metaphors that are used today.  So what do I do when I hear one that I am not sure about? I Google it to find out.  As an educator I would first find out what it means so I could give the students’ the correct answer or explanation of what the metaphor actually means.  The students’ could also Google them but only with the help of a parent or guardian because there are a few inappropriate ones.

4.  Why do we use metaphors? Maybe we use metaphors to be humorous?  Maybe we are trying to expand our vocabulary and we get tired of saying the same old boring statements? There could be numerous reasons; I guess it just depends on the person using the metaphors.

No comments:

Post a Comment