Thursday, April 7, 2011

Special Assignment: Mr. McClung's World

Mr. McClung's World Blog Page Icon

Mr. McClung’s World: Special Assignment
Mr. McClung is a huge supporter of using technology in the schools/classrooms.  He uses his blog for Social Studies as well as his cross country team.  His blog is just one example of how he exemplifies technology in the classroom and out of the classroom. I believe that Mr. McClung uses his blog due to him wanting to include technology in everyday instruction and I believe using his blog does just that.  His class blog is used as a newsletter for parents as well as the students to let everyone know what new assignments or projects are approaching.
Just by reading Mr. McClung’s rules and expectations I believe it speaks very highly of him as an educator.  He expects everyone to come to class with energy and positivity.  He also talks about how he wants his students to speak up in the classroom because he wants his students to learn from each other.  He also expects everyone to listen.  One would think these few things that I mentioned would be the rules but they are just the expectations of his students.  I really like his expectations and hope to carry these with me in my classroom.
I believe that a day planner is needed first and foremost under the Everyone Needs Column because keeping things in order can help eliminate procrastination.  I believe everyone should keep a day planner because it can help students be very organized and keeps them from being scatter brained when their assignments may be due.
 As far as penalty for late work, according to Mr. McClung, each day that the work is late a letter grade is lowered.  If late on the fourth day, it is a failing grade on the assignment.  As specified by Dr. Strange, his penalty for late work is the possibility of an “F” and if consistent late work, results in a “D.”
When looking over the links of Mr. McClung I noticed that all of the links were helpful and used to practice technology.  I noticed that most of the links he had, we have been over and are still going over in EDM310 this semester.  Both Dr. Strange and Mr. McClung are trying to get students introduced and more familiar with technology and these links on Mr. McClung’s site I believe does just that.  Two that stuck out to me were Gmail and also TED: Ideas Worth Spreading.  I am also familiar with both. 
While reading the internet safety rules, I noticed that his rules are not the same as other teacher/students blogs.  I am sure he is just being very secure and really as a teacher one has to be, especially when considering other people’s children are involved.  I really think that his rules are good and are made for students to be secure but are still allowing them to communicate with others.
I was given the opportunity to read and comment on Mr. McClung’s blog post entitled Lessons Learned: March Madness NCAA.   Mr. McClung wrote about his love for basketball.  Unfortunately I am not a huge fan of watching it on television, I would rather watch in person.  Others responded by saying how they loved basketball. The other students commenting were very familiar with all the terms that Mr. McClung talked about when referring back to basketball.  Other categories under “Lessons Learned,” included Spring Break, Talent Show, and 9:23.
Mr. McClung’s blog does differ from other teachers due to him having a syllabus, class rules, expectations, useful links, students work, as well as the computer app available for the teacher, parent, and student.  Mr. McClung is very organized and I believe, has the best interest for his students to become technologically advanced.  He really seems like he has everything together.  Mr. McClung’s blog may be more advanced compared to other teachers maybe because he keeps it up to date or either he has more experience technologically.  To be honest, I am not really sure, there could be many reasons. 
As far as my blog, as of now, really there is nothing that I would not want to change, but if I have a blog when teaching I would like to advance my blog, basically how Mr. McClung’s blog is set up.  Of course mine would be on a elementary level but I would have some of the same little buttons or links at the top. For example, the syllabus, a button for parents to comment or view upcoming assignments, etc.  I really like how his blog is set up and how it is full of information for everyone to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment